> On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 18:28 +0000, Darren J Moffat
> wrote:
> > Erast Benson wrote:
> the problem that
> > >
> > > one little problem... to become a major OSS
> community out there.
> > >
> > > And today, after 1.5 year of our existence we are
> still a minority
> > > (community-wise), and unfortunately, this is
> true. Just open b56
> > > changelog and try to find how many people outside
> of Sun contributed to
> > > it to happen? None or one! And I bet Sun would
> like to increase outside
> > > contribution too but with CDDL alone it is just
> not possible in
> > > foreseeable future. People afraid to contribute
> to CDDL projects for
> > > variety of reasons, look how cdrecord has been
> forked to be pure GPL
> > > project just because of that.
> >
> > Do you actually have proof that there are people
> who will contribute to
> > OpenSolaris code that is currently under the CDDL
> if it is dual-licensed
> > or single licensed under GPLv3 ?
> >
> > Or is this assumption based on the behaviour of the
> case you site ?
> >
> > If there is proof I'd love to see it because it
> seems that nobody on
> > either side of this debate (I see at least a
> triangle: CDDL only / dual
> > CDDL and GPLv3 / GPLv3 only) [ me included!! ]
> actually has any evidence
> > only opinions about what might happen.
>
> Well, on pro-GPLv3 side we at least have some
> precedence where CDDL
> hurts. Again most visible: cdrecord is a good one and
> Debian community
> not acceptance of CDDL is another one.
>
> On pro-CDDL side we have nothing... just opinions,
> emotions and fear.
>
> --
> Erast

Wrong. Apple, FreeBSD and other projects are *proof* that the CDDL provides
benefits. We do not have "just opinions, emotions and fear." I mean really,
that's just an ungrateful and untrue thing to say.

Debian doesn't even accept some of the Free Software Foundation's licenses, so
what's your answer to that?

Sorry, but Debian is unreasonable in their demands in many people's opinions.
Why do you think Ubuntu is succeeding where they *failed*?

-Shawn