UNIX admin wrote:
My point is, quite simply, if we dumb everything down,

I'm glad we've managed to dumb things way down in the last 20 years:

No longer do we need to wire up plugboards to program the mainframes.
No longer do we need to toggle front panel switches to bootstrap a system.
No longer do we need to write in assembly language (or machine code or ...)
No longer do we need to ... add your own list ...

My point is that a good engineer can identify and remove gratuitous
or unneeded complexity (or abstract it safely away behind an API)
such that the rest of us can stand on their shoulders and reach much
higher.

  -John