Lars Tunkrans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dennis ,  I agree   with you  that  SNV70   is not  mounting  a Vista UDFS
> dvd  correctly
>
> I did a clean Install of Snv_70  on a new disc ( a 10.000 rpm  disc which
> contributes
> nicely to the speed  of the system btw )
>
> The automount  by HAL  and rmmount did not mount the UDF  filesystem

There was a similar bug reported in May from Casper Dik (6562403).

Unfortunately Casper did never send the information I asked for, so the problem
could not be investigated.

> All it did was mounting a HSFS  where  a little text file " readme.txt"  with
> the following message appeared.
>
> "This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
>
> that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification."

If your problem is that the medium you mounted is incosistent, then you would
complain at the manufacturer/publisher.

The problem with CD/DVD/.... media is that this media usually now contain 3
filesystems in 4 flavors:

-       ISO-9660
-       ISO-9660 Rock Ridge extensions

-       Joliet

-       UDF

If you ask a utility (like e.g. fstyp) whether a specific filesystem type is
available, you will typically get positive replies for all filesystems!

Media handling on Solaris is unfortunately based on asking this way and the
first ask that results in a positive will be turned into a mount action.

**** I just found that we did forget to enhance /usr/lib/fs/hsfs/fstyp to know
about Joliet when Joliet support was added a year ago....

In any case, we will get into trouble!

-       The DVD manufacturers believe that there is a standard that requires
        UDF on a DVD medium.

-       There is no such "requirement" for other media types....

-       Many people believe that UDF is a better choice than ISO-9660, but this
        is not correct from my experiences:

-       UDF limits single files to a max of ~ 200 GB

-       ISO-9660 limits single files to 8 TB

This all will not create real problems in case that you manually mount the
medium, but it will cause trouble if you auto-mount with any possible rule-set.

> Only after  I did the below  command  could I see the files on the UDF  disc.
>
> # mount -F udfs -o ro /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2 /mnt
>
> and even then  fstyp(1M)   reports that its a HSFS   file system
>
> # fstyp -v  /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2 | more
> hsfs
> CD-ROM is in ISO 9660 format
> System id:
> Volume id: LRMCXFRE_EN_DVD
> Volume set id: LRMCXFRE_EN_DVD
> Publisher id: MICROSOFT CORPORATION
> Data preparer id: MICROSOFT CORPORATION, ONE MICROSOFT WAY, REDMOND WA 98052,
> (425) 882-8080
> Application id: CDIMAGE 2.52 (03/09/2004 TM)
> Copyright File id:
> Abstract File id:
> Bibliographic File id:
> Volume set size is 1
> Volume set sequence number is 1
> Logical block size is 2048
> Volume size is 1853755
> -------
> Media format  detection is obviously  not working   with UDF.

Please repeat the text using "isoinfo -d". If isoinfo _also_ reports a Volume
size of 33.6 GB, then this is a medium that has been created by a
(intentionally???) buggy application.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)