Joerg Schilling wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>> For this reason, the "compare" from imagemagick either needs to be renamed
>>> or it needs to be put into a different directory.
>>
>> Your compare command gives a name clash with ImageMagick's compare command;
>> why don't you rename yours?
>
> Looks like you are unwilling to cooperate!
>
> Why should I rename that exists in the public for a long time just because
> some uncooperative people reused the name?

In order to compromise and to move forward.  Otherwise you just look
demanding, unwilling to make any change and difficult to work with so
people will eventually just start ignoring you.  If that is the stance
you want to take that is your choice but don't expect others to change
if you aren't willing to.

Oldest provable use isn't what matters, sometimes "most popular
elsewhere" is what is most important and sometimes it isn't.  Sometimes
it is just first past the post is what wins and in this case ImageMagick
one.

When it comes to generic names (which unfortunately ImageMagick is full
of) I personally would prefer that it wasn't allowed unless they were
really generic.  However UNIX is full of stuff like this already
cancel,accept etc.   It is very important for adoption of OpenSolaris
distributions that in some cases when OpenSolaris imports external
technology that we do so in the most appropriate way, in the ImageMagick
case that means not changing the default program names.

--
Darren J Moffat