[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Do you like to ignore that my compare is genric and thus correctly using
> > the name and that it is 20 years older than imagemagick?
>
> "compare" as a word dates back to probably 1000BC when the latin language
> developed. Its use in english is post-norman, though, being imported from
> french, but even that makes the english word almost thousand years old.

This does not apply to our computer enviromnent.

> What, except a) that I was tortured with Latin in school, and b) that I
> can sound quite patronizing if I chose to, does that prove ?
>
> Generic words can't be trademarked. That's why everyone can call their
> stuff "Windows", Microsoft lost a corresponding lawsuit a few years ago.
> You chose a simple english word, you can't claim exclusive rights to it.

This is not a trademark problem but a name clash problem.

We did have a long discussion in the arc mailing list and agreed not to put
names into /usr/bin that would cause name clashes.

For this reason, the "compare" from imagemagick either needs to be renamed
or it needs to be put into a different directory.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)