Paul Jakma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>
> > As an example, you might check for "compare". This is a program I
> > maintain since 1984 that is similar to "cmp(1)".
>
> I'm confused: Why not just submit patches to make cmp faster? Why the
> need for a functionally-similar (identical?) but new utility?

Looks like you are missing the fact that cmp sources have not been available
when compare has been created. Also note that the "compare -a" output
is better readable than the one from cmp.

For this reason, compare is used on a dayly base, something that does not apply
to e.g. imagemagic.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)