[Please refrain from copying me on these mails; I, like everyone
involved, am on this mailing list]

On 20 Dec 2007, at 13:19, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Bart Blanquart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> The ARC looked at the information given to it and decided that
>> retaining compatibility around the ImageMagick command names (that
>> had been shipped before in SFW, and exist as such on many other
>> platforms on which the ImageMagick tools are available) was more
>> important than reserving a piece of the namespace for a command that
>> was (and is) not even on track to being integrated.
>>
>> I see no rigidity nor lack of flexibility here.
>
> Then you should read my mail and try to understand the problem....

I've read your mails and I fail to see a problem in what the ARC has
decided. So, would you be so kind as to indulge me and explain
clearly what is overly rigid or shows a lack of flexibility in the
ARC  making a decision based on the information it had, which was:

        1) /usr/sfw/bin/compare had already shipped, so the "compare" name
had already been used (on Solaris);
        2) ImageMagick's compare seems to be the most commonly used compare
command;
        3) there is precedent on permitting moves from /usr/sfw to /usr/bin
if this causes no naming clash within the context of Solaris;
        4) there was (and is) not even a proposal for your compare command
to get integrated, so #3 stands.

The names of commands that exist outside of the Solaris context
matter little. They do matter in so far that they can be considered
by the ARC to avoid gratuitous naming discrepancies as well as naming
clashes with common commands out there. The ARC has the flexibility
to decide one way or the other, based on what the ARC members
consider to be the most useful approach for Solaris.

Bart