Darren J Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I believe Paul was suggesting that you could *now* use the knowledge you
> gained in writing your compare(1) to improved the now available in
> source form cmp(1) ? As some other OpenSolaris contributor has already
> done.  I personally think this would be possible even if it means a
> complete replacement of cmp(1) with your compare(1) - providing your
> compare is 100% compatible (modulo extensions).

Once it has been verified that it is possible to contribute to OpenSolaris
I am happy to do so but please note that:

-       The better readable output from compare is not compatible with the
        POSIX cmp definition

-       One reason why compare is faster is that it by default does not
        count lines wich is also not compatible with the POSIX cmp definition
        although nobody usually needs this feature.

It is sometimes easier not to be forced to be 100% compatible to POSIX ;-)

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)