>My experience has been that ARC is very agreeable to work with people to
>figure out new ways of doing things when needed.  It took us several
>failed attempts, but working together we found a way to document
>interface change in the GNOME desktop that is suitable to ARC and
>which also isn't so burdensome to the resources of the JDS team.

Thanks Brian for this perspective on the ARCs.

I think that anyone who brings a project to the ARCs for the first
time is taken aback by the volume of comments and what appears to
be resistance.

Each engineer's first major ARC experience, however, is a great learning
experience.  The first time you think it's a hurdle or unnecessary
red-tape; but in the end you know better.

You then start to realize that as an engineer you develop blinders early
on in your design cycle; you then dig yourself into various holes.

Then you get to the ARC with what you think is a complete project and
people start asking question which appear hostile at first.  But in the
end you realize that there is no hostility, just business and genuine
interest in keeping the product as good, reliable and maintainable as it
is.  They help you realize the holes you've dug and the mistakes you've
made; or they make you rethink the things you didn't feel comfortable
about either.  And that is goodness.

I think ksh93, for all the fireworks its ARC case seemed to bring, is a
prime example of how this works; but it's like sausages.
The end result can be very appealing but the process of making them
is not for the fainthearted.

Casper