In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Fri,  1 Nov 2002 00:51:24
+0100 (MET), "Frédéric Giudicelli via RT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

rt> Well Microsoft support tells me it's openssl's fault, and you tell
rt> me it's microsoft's?

I'm basing what I say, not only on the way it's implemented, but also
on what's written in RFC3280 (the new version of what was RFC2459) and
in various books.  I've explained how it should work according to
those and why OpenSSL is doing the right thing, have Microsoft done
some kind of explanation of their behavior or were they just in a
blame game (I suspect the latter, but I'd love to be pleasantly
surprised).  I'd love to hear how they think things should work.

rt> It's dead end, what am I supposed to tell my clients ?
rt> Well... altough PKIX recommends the use of the authorityKeyId, and that the
rt> French Government says you must to have this extension, to be certified,
rt> I'll have to remove this extension ?

Or stop using software that can't handle security properly, OR find
out if there's something else that Microsoft wants to see in their
certkey store.  Are the root CA and intermediate CA certificates in
there (I'm fumbling in the dark with my guesses, I know)?

rt> To make everybody happy let's read the RFC
rt>
rt> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2459.txt
rt>
rt> 4.2.1.1  Authority Key Identifier
rt>
rt> ...The identification may be based on either the
rt>    key identifier (the subject key identifier in the issuer's
rt>    certificate) or on the issuer name and serial number.
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That says it all.  Just think of what the combination of issuer and
serial number is used for.  But you're right, it would be clearer if
there was the following parenthesis added on:

(the issuer and serial number in the issuer's certificate)

Think about it like this: if the authorityKeyID was to have the issuer
and serial number of the certificate it's in, what use would it have,
since it would just duplicate parts of that same certificate (the
issuer and serial number fields on the constant part of the
certificate).  It simply doesn't make sense to have the redundancy,
and certainly doesn't help finding the specific CA certificate that
was used to sign this certificate.

rt> 4.2.1.2  Subject Key Identifier
rt>
rt> ...The value of the subject key identifier MUST be the value
rt>    placed in the key identifier field of the Authority Key Identifier
rt>    extension (see sec. 4.2.1.1) of certificates issued by the subject of
rt>    this certificate.
rt>
rt> Well the least that we could say, it is crystal clear :).
rt> it's incomprehensible.

I disagree with you, but I've worked with this long enough to have a
rather fine-tuned understanding of how this works.  It took me some
time to get here.

rt> I'm writting to the authors to see what they say about it, becaus
rt> MS has another comprehension than yours.

I'd love to hear what answers you get, from all parties.

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.