> appro> > and other details I'm not aware of.  I've heard
> appro> > suggestions of creating several variants of the OpenSSL libraries that
> appro> > would be used in parallell with the different MSVC libraries, and
> appro> > that's where a naming convention is becoming even more important.
> appro>
> appro> I'd say that we should rather strive for being more like USER32 or any
> appro> other system component, i.e. being MT-safe and neutral to any particular
> appro> compiler run-time environment.
>
> That would be great, so how does one do that?

Note that I didn't say it would be trivial, nor that I know exactly how
to actually do it:-) I merely said that having observed how system
components [e.g. KERNEL32] are linked there seem to be a way to achieve
this [noble] goal. Step in the direction would be to understand exactly
*why* it's not possible to interchange /MD and /MDd versions. The
conclusion might be hard to accept. As it might turn out that the only
way is to break dependency from MSVCRT, but the catch is that it's
MSVCRT stands for stdio.h, malloc.h and string.h. malloc.h and string.h
are relatively easy to replace (e.g. by linking with the static LIBC),
but probably not stdio.h (linking it statically probably won't work as
it most likely will interfere with another copy of stdio and one most
likely will have to implement some ascetic replacement). A.