Hi,

> Hi Ironic team,
>
> [TL;DR - we agree to Miles’ proposal for two images (one mascot, one logo)
> for different contexts. We’re looking for any final feedback on the stylized
> logo for use on the website, while the PixieBoots mascot remains yours for
> swag, etc.]
>
> I’m doing my best to reply to all questions on this thread as Lucas
> requested:
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-February/112212.html.
> Please feel free to drop a note here if I’ve missed anything. I’m summarizing
> everything below:
>
> Design issues:
> —The bear looked angry in v1
> Answer: We removed the angry expression and replaced it with a neutral
> expression
> —The metal horns hand gesture is culturally inappropriate (rude in some
> countries) (from Ruby)
> Answer: We removed this feature and replaced it, based on the team’s input,
> with the bear holding sticks (as drumsticks)
> —What about a goat-like horned bear? (Joanna)
> Answer: We removed horned references due to the cultural reference to
> cuckolding as the Ironic team pointed out
> —The bear looks too much like a Russian meme with two hands up
> Answer: We have a face-forward bear, not a side-view bear, and only one hand
> raised.
> —The bear’s face decoration looked too much like the band Kiss
> Answer: While this was intentional by the designer (for a more “metal” look),
> we removed this feature and replaced it with basic bear face coloring. Some
> folks (including Miles, Dmitry, Sam who added +1s) would like this back in.
> We’re happy to do it, we just need the team to agree on one direction.
>
> I'm OK either way, but liked the "KISS" style face painting.

+1 the kiss star looks cool indeed.

> —Don’t like the style (reminds Lucas of church windows)
> Answer: The design style for all of the mascots is set. It was shared in July
> when we started this project, and unfortunately the feedback window regarding
> design style has passed, as 95% of projects have now received their logos.

Fair enough

> —Request to abbreviate the bear so it just shows head/top of torso/hand
> holding drumsticks (from Dmitry)
> Answer: We can revisit that with the designers, however it doesn’t match the
> rest of the logo set, which is either face or full body of each mascot. We’re
> happy to try this, but as we’ve already been four rounds with the team, I’m
> soliciting ANY final feedback on this version before we finalize it.
>
> I'm OK with this. I think it'll be the closest we'll get to something
> everyone can agree on. +1 from me.
>

> Outstanding questions:
> —Can we use PixieBoots in the future?
> Answer: Absolutely. You’re welcome to produce vintage swag like shirts and
> stickers with your original logo. Any team can use their old logo in this
> way. Put another way, if you’d like to call PixieBoots your mascot, but refer
> to the Ironic logo our illustrators have created as merely a logo, that’s
> fine. And you don’t have to use this logo if you don’t want to.
> —Can we use (1) A stylized logo, matching the guidelines, for use in
> “official” settings and anywhere that it will be seen in other projects’
> logos; and (2) Our existing PixieBoots mascot, for use in “official” settings
> (laptop stickers, T-shirts, chatbots, webcomic, etc.)? (suggested by Miles)
> Answer: Great suggestion! Yes. Together with the answer above, that’s our
> intention—we’d like for you to be able to continue to use your beloved mascot
> in your own way, and we’d like the Ironic team to select some logo that is
> consistent with the rest of the community project logos, that we can use on
> official channels such as the website.
> —What will we see at the PTG?
> Answer: Out of respect for the team, we did not print stickers or signage for
> the Ironic team with any logo on it until the team reaches an agreement.
> —What license will the mascot have?
> Answer: It will be CC-BY-ND, which the foundation uses for most of our
> collateral. That allows you to use it (and we’ve provided ten versions to the
> PTLs of the projects with finalized mascots so they have a good amount of
> flexibility in logo use). It prevents, for example, a for-profit company from
> inserting its commercial logo into an element of the community-use mascots
> (which was a common request early in the design process). If you would like
> to make a derivative work, we can definitely find a way to compromise, just
> send me a note.

Personally I would prefer a license that allowed people to just create
derivatives without having to ask the foundation first because I think
that represents better a free software project. But, apparently
there's an agreement on it already, so it's fine.

> —What does the foundation want to achieve with this? (from Lucas)
> Answer: We’re trying to communicate, by way of design, that the projects are
> cohesive and connected, while still preserving (via a team-selected mascot)
> the team’s individual identity. We’d also like to help those projects that
> don’t have design resources present themselves on an even footing with the
> others. The majority of projects didn’t have their own mascots when this
> process began.
>
> What’s next?
> I’ll monitor this ML string for feedback. I tried to host a live call with
> your team to hash out the conflicting feedback, but nobody showed up. So
> instead, at the team’s request, I’ll rely on your thoughts via this email
> string, and do my best to move forward based on what appears to be the
> majority response.
>
> One final thought—please be open-minded. Working on any design project where
> 60+ teams are involved is bound to produce conflicting views. As an open
> community, I love when we embrace that, when we can get behind something for
> the good of the community, even if it isn’t 100% our own idea or preference.
> This is not an effort to “corporatize” or remove the diversity of teams. It’s
> about making representation of the projects more cohesive and connected. It’s
> also about looking out for the smaller teams in the big tent that don’t have
> the resources of larger teams. The feedback as a whole has been very
> positive. The Ironic team’s passion and engagement of this project is
> overwhelming. I’m making every effort to bring you something that you can be
> proud of in context with the other team logos.
>
> FWIW; this is the sort of thing we all deal with daily in code review. We
> know it's tough, and we appreciate being included in the big effort.

I echo what Jay have said here. Sorry if we pushed it a bit too hard
but we need to make sure that we end up with something that we all
agree on.

Thanks Heidi for clarifying the questions!

Cheers,
Lucas