On 06/21/2017 02:52 PM, Lauren Sell wrote:
> Two things we should address:
>
> 1) Make it more clear which projects are “officially” part of
> OpenStack. It’s possible to find that information, but it’s not obvious.
> I am one of the people who laments the demise of stackforge…it was very
> clear that stackforge projects were not official, but part of the
> OpenStack ecosystem. I wish it could be resurrected, but I know that’s
> impractical.
>
> To make this actionable...Github is just a mirror of our repositories,
> but for better or worse it's the way most people in the world
> explore software. If you look at OpenStack on Github now, it’s
> impossible to tell which projects are official. Maybe we could help by
> better curating the Github projects (pinning some of the top projects,
> using the new new topics feature to put tags like openstack-official or
> openstack-unofficial, coming up with more standard descriptions or
> naming, etc.). Same goes for our repos…if there’s a way we could
> differentiate between official and unofficial projects on this page it
> would be really useful: https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/

I think even if it was only solvable on github, and not cgit, it would
help a lot. The idea of using github project tags and pinning suggested
by Lauren seems great to me.

If we replicated the pinning on github.com/openstack to "popular
projects" here - https://www.openstack.org/software/, and then even just
start with the tags as defined in governance -
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/index.html it would
go a long way.

I think where the conversation is breaking down is realizing that
different people process the information we put out there in different
ways, and different things lock in and make sense to them. Lots of
people are trained to perceive github structure as meaningful, because
it is 98% of the time. As such I'd still also like to see us using that
structure well, and mirroring only things we tag as official to
github.com/openstack, and the rest to /openstack-ecosystem or something.

Even if that's flat inside our gerrit and cgit environment.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net