On 02/13/2018 10:24 PM, Haïkel wrote:
RDO has *yet* to choose a plan, and people were invited to work on the
"stabilized" repository draft [0]. If anyone has a better plan that fits all the
constraints, please share it asap.
Whatever the plan, we're launching it with the Rocky cycle.

Among the constraints (but not limited to):
* EL8 is not available
* No Python3 on EL7 *and* no allocated resources to maintain it (that includes
rebuilding/maintaining *all* python modules + libraries)

I have to admit I don't entirely understand this constraint. CentOS 7 is in support until 2024. I would think RHEL 7's timeline is similar or even longer. If Python 2 is going out of support in 2020, does that mean there will be no supported Python on CentOS for the last four years of its lifecycle?

In fact, the more I think about this the more I feel like there's a fundamental problem with the way we're handling this transition. We're not the only ones who are going to feel the pain of having disjoint Python releases from 7 to 8. Anyone running a Python application now gets to not only do a major OS upgrade, but also a major Python upgrade. Sure, it's worse for us because we need to support EL 8 at release, but _everyone_ is going to feel some variation on this pain as they move forward.

I realize this is a discussion that's probably above my pay grade, but I feel I would be remiss if I didn't point out that our Python support strategy seems very flawed.

* Bridge the gap between EL7 and EL8, Fedora 27/28 are the closest thing we
have to EL8 [1][2]
* SCL have a cost (and I cannot yet expose why but not jumping onto the SCL
bandwagon has proven to be the right bet)
* Have something stable enough so that upstream gate can use it.
That's why plan stress that updates will be gated (definition of how
is still open)
* Manage to align planets so that we can ship version X of OpenStack [3] on EL8
without additional delay

Well, I cannot say that I can't relate to what you're saying, though. [4]

Indeed.  This sounds like a pub track discussion if I ever heard one. :-)

Regards,
H.

[0]
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stabilized-fedora-repositories-for-openstack
[1] Do not assume anything on EL8 (name included) it's more
complicated than that.
[2] Take a breath, but we might have to ship RDO as modules, not just RPMs or
Containers. I already have headaches about it.
[3] Do not ask which one, I do not know :)
[4] Good thing that next PTG will be in Dublin, I'll need a lot of
irish whiskey :)