From: Joe Gordon [mailto:joe.gord...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 10:48 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova][core] Expectations of core reviewers

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 8:31 PM, Michael Still
<mi...@stillhq.com<mailto:mi...@stillhq.com>> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Jay Pipes
<jaypi...@gmail.com<mailto:jaypi...@gmail.com>> wrote:

> Just wanted to quickly weigh in with my thoughts on this important topic. I
> very much valued the face-to-face interaction that came from the mid-cycle
> meetup in Beaverton (it was the only one I've ever been to).
>
> That said, I do not believe it should be a requirement that cores make it to
> the face-to-face meetings in-person. A number of folks have brought up very
> valid concerns about personal/family time, travel costs and burnout.
I'm not proposing they be a requirement. I am proposing that they be
strongly encouraged.

> I believe that the issue raised about furthering the divide between core and
> non-core folks is actually the biggest reason I don't support a mandate to
> have cores at the face-to-face meetings, and I think we should make our best
> efforts to support quality virtual meetings that can be done on a more
> frequent basis than the face-to-face meetings that would be optional.
I am all for online meetings, but we don't have a practical way to do
them at the moment apart from IRC. Until someone has a concrete
proposal that's been shown to work, I feel its a straw man argument.

What about making it easier for remote people to participate at the mid-cycle
meetups? Set up some microphones and a Google hangout?  At least that way
attending the mid-cycle is not all or nothing.

We did something like this last cycle (IIRC we didn't have enough mics) and it
worked pretty well.

Michael

--
Rackspace Australia