On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fu...@yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2014-08-14 09:33:20 -0400 (-0400), Russell Bryant wrote:
> [...]
> > Another issue is that some folks are just fundamentally opposed to
> > using Google
> [...]
>
> I think that's a shallow depiction of the issue. I'm sure *some*
> people really do just avoid Google specifically, but a bigger
> concern should be around the statement our use of those services
> presents to the rest of the World. By using commercial solutions
> because the open alternatives aren't as useful/featureful/stable, we
> rob those projects of a potential larger user community which could
> help them achieve greater momentum and eventually dominate their
> respective technologies.
>
> Would we, as a community, rather see OpenStack used in production
> and improved when it has bugs/lacks features? Or should users just
> view it as a cheap lab platform instead, and then pay for "solid"
> proprietary solutions to their production needs? I'm glad a lot of
> people think using and improving OpenStack, even when there might
> sometimes be easier/simpler closed alternatives, is worth the
> long-term investment.
>
> We, as visible leaders among the greater free software community,
> should think very hard when making the choice not to extend this
> same courtesy and consideration to other projects who may lack our
> extraordinary base of resources. Through our example as a project,
> we have the potential to improve things for open/free software
> communities far beyond our own.
>
> Of course I'm not a nova core reviewer and have never attended a
> nova mid-cycle meetup, so I really have no say in how you conduct
> your remote participation. But I do hope you'll consider,
> collectively, that focusing on immediate convenience for your own
> community can have negative longer-term consequences as you (whether
> consciously or not) promote the use of proprietary solutions to your
> needs rather than embracing less convenient free and open options
> which may still require improvement.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

​Lots of stuff here, good points, bad points etc.

I just want to take the opportunity to state that I have ZERO intention of
ever pushing that "if you're on core you must travel anywhere".  I think
it's completely alienating and unfair and frankly kinda surprised it was
actually raised.

For anybody that contributes, works hard and gives great reviews but can't
travel to the various Nova events around the world, feel free to check out
Cinder.  We don't care if you meet us in person and we love good
contributors regardless of where they live etc.

I could insert snarky comment about "unable to work remotely using
technology" and "maybe should choose another project or career" here but I
won't. ​