Hello, Tom,

Thanks for your mail to mention that some users out there that use
cells "to integrate multi-site / multi-vendor OpenStack instances into
one cloud with OpenStack API exposed.",.

Why do I think Cells using scale up methodology?

1, Use case 1: All cells using shared Cinder, Neutron, Glance as John Garbutt
mentioned in the mail. In this use case, ,one Cinder, Neutron, Galnce intance
to scale up for multi-sites, no multi-vendor cinder, neutron, glance, althoth
it can integrate different vendor's driver/agent/plugin. This use case has
unified north-bound OpenStack API

2, Use case 2, each child cells with seperate Cinder, Nova-Network. For this
use case, No unified north-bound OpenStack API, multi-endpoints for upper layer.

3, Until now, only RPC used for inter-cell or api-cell communication. For
multi-data center deployment, it leads to the risk of out of management: if one
parent cell faild, no API or CLI is available to manage the child cells. RPC
message interface is imposible being used to manage child cells.

4. Ok, suppose that Cells will add new driver to use REST API for  inter-cell
or api-cell communication, then should it be done on Cinder/Neutron/Glance too?
or still using shared Cinder/Neutron/Glance. If it's the the first choice, it
is the same design as OpenStack cascading solution wants to do. If it's still
using shared service, the RPC message acorss different data centers still
exists, and it's still scale up methodology.

Best Regards

Chaoyi Huang ( joehuang )