On Oct 3, 2014, at 9:25 AM, Anne Gentle <a...@openstack.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Doug Hellmann <d...@doughellmann.com> wrote:
>
> On Oct 3, 2014, at 12:46 AM, Joe Gordon <joe.gord...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Devananda van der Veen
>> <devananda....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Doug Hellmann <d...@doughellmann.com> wrote:
>> > As promised at this week’s TC meeting, I have applied the various blog
>> > posts and mailing list threads related to changing our governance model to
>> > a series of patches against the openstack/governance repository [1].
>> >
>> > I have tried to include all of the inputs, as well as my own opinions, and
>> > look at how each proposal needs to be reflected in our current policies so
>> > we do not drop commitments we want to retain along with the processes we
>> > are shedding [2].
>> >
>> > I am sure we need more discussion, so I have staged the changes as a
>> > series rather than one big patch. Please consider the patches together
>> > when commenting. There are many related changes, and some incremental
>> > steps won’t make sense without the changes that come after (hey, just like
>> > code!).
>> >
>> > Doug
>> >
>> > [1]
>> > https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/governance+branch:master+topic:big-tent,n,z
>> > [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/big-tent-notes
>>
>> I've summed up a lot of my current thinking on this etherpad as well
>> (I should really blog, but hey ...)
>>
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/in-pursuit-of-a-new-taxonomy
>>

>> After seeing Jay's idea of making a yaml file modeling things and talking to
>> devananda about this I went ahead and tried to graph the relationships out.
>>
>> repo: https://github.com/jogo/graphing-openstack
>> preliminary YAML file:
>> https://github.com/jogo/graphing-openstack/blob/master/openstack.yaml
>> sample graph: http://i.imgur.com/LwlkE73.png
>>
>> It turns out its really hard to figure out what the relationships are
>> without digging deep into the code for each project, so I am sure I got a
>> few things wrong (along with missing a lot of projects).
>
> The relationships are very important for setting up an optimal gate
> structure. I’m less convinced they are important for setting up the
> governance structure, and I do not think we want a specific gate
> configuration embedded in the governance structure at all. That’s why I’ve
> tried to describe general relationships (“optional inter-project dependences”
> vs. “strict co-dependent project groups” [1]) up until the very last patch in
> the series [2], which redefines the integrated release in terms of those
> other relationships and a base set of projects.
>

> I'm reading and reading and reading and my thoughts keep returning to, "we're
> optimizing only for dev." :)

Yes, that’s a gap in what has been proposed. There is some discussion about
addressing cross-project teams more fully on
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/125789/ and I agree we need to be more
explicit about our intent, both in saying which cross-project teams are
official and what that means to the other teams.

Doug