On 10/13/2014 07:11 PM, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:52:26 -0400
Jay Pipes <jaypi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10/10/2014 02:05 AM, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
I agree with what you've written on the wiki page. I think our
priority needs to be to flesh out
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Proposed/APIGuidelines
so we have something to reference when reviewing specs. At the
moment I see that document as something anyone should be able to
document a project's API convention even if they conflict with
another project for the moment. Once we've got a fair amount of
content we can start as a group resolving
any conflicts.

Agreed that we should be fleshing out the above wiki page. How would
you like us to do that? Should we have an etherpad to discuss
individual topics? Having multiple people editing the wiki page
offering commentary seems a bit chaotic, and I think we would do well
to have the Gerrit review process in place to handle proposed
guidelines and rules for APIs. See below for specifics on this...

Honestly I don't think we have enough content yet to have much of a
discussion. I started the wiki page

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Proposed/APIGuidelines

in the hope that people from other projects would start adding
conventions that they use in their projects. I think its fine for the
moment if its contradictory, we just need to gather what projects
currently do (or want to do) in one place so we can start discussing any
contradictions.

Actually, I don't care all that much about what projects *currently* do. I want this API working group to come up with concrete guidelines and rules/examples of what APIs *should* look like.

So I'd again encourage anyone interested in APIs from the various
projects to just start dumping their project viewpoint in there.

I went ahead and just created a repository that contained all the stuff that should be pretty much agreed-to, and a bunch of stub topic documents that can be used to propose specific ideas (and get feedback on) here:

http://github.com/jaypipes/openstack-api

Hopefully, you can give it a look and get a feel for why I think the code review process will be better than the wiki for controlling the deliverables produced by this team...

I like the idea of a repo and using Gerrit for discussions to resolve
issues. I don't think it works so well when people are wanting to dump
lots of information in initially.  Unless we agree to just merge
anything vaguely reasonable and then resolve the conflicts later when
we have a reasonable amount of content. Otherwise stuff will get lost in
gerrit history comments and people's updates to the document will
overwrite each other.

I guess we could also start fleshing out in the repo how we'll work in
practice too (eg once the document is stable what process do we have
for making changes - two +2's is probably not adequate for something like this).

We can make it work exactly like the openstack/governance repo, where ttx has the only ability to +2/+W approve a patch for merging, and he tallies a majority vote from the TC members, who vote -1 or +1 on a proposed patch.

Instead of ttx, though, we can have an API working group lead selected from the set of folks currently listed as committed to the effort?

Best,
-jay