Hi all,

We had some discussions last week - particularly in the Nova NFV design session
[1] - on the subject of ensuring that telecommunications and NFV-related
functionality has adequate continuous integration testing. In particular the
focus here is on functionality that can't easily be tested on the public clouds
that back the gate, including:

- NUMA (vCPU pinning, vCPU layout, vRAM layout, huge pages, I/O device locality)
- SR-IOV with Intel, Cisco, and Mellanox devices (possibly others)

In each case we need to confirm where we are at, and the plan going forward,
with regards to having:

1) Hardware to run the CI on.
2) Tests that actively exercise the functionality (if not already in existence).
3) Point person for each setup to maintain it and report into the third-party
meeting [2].
4) Getting the jobs operational and reporting [3][4][5][6].

In the Nova session we discussed a goal of having the hardware by K-1 (Dec 18)
and having it reporting at least periodically by K-2 (Feb 5). I'm not sure if
similar discussions occurred on the Neutron side of the design summit.

SR-IOV
======

Adrian and Irena mentioned they were already in the process of getting up to
speed with third party CI for their respective SR-IOV configurations. Robert
are you attempting similar with regards to Cisco devices? What is the status of
each of these efforts versus the four items I lifted above and what do you need
assistance with?

NUMA
====

We still need to identify some hardware to run third party CI for the
NUMA-related work, and no doubt other things that will come up. It's expected
that this will be an interim solution until OPNFV resources can be used (note
cdub jokingly replied 1-2 years when asked for a "rough" estimate - I mention
this because based on a later discussion some people took this as a serious
estimate).

Ian did you have any luck kicking this off? Russell and I are also endeavouring
to see what we can do on our side w.r.t. this short term approach - in
particular if you find hardware we still need to find an owner to actually
setup and manage it as discussed.

In theory to get started we need a physical multi-socket box and a virtual
machine somewhere on the same network to handle job control etc. I believe the
tests themselves can be run in VMs (just not those exposed by existing public
clouds) assuming a recent Libvirt and an appropriately crafted Libvirt XML that
ensures the VM gets a multi-socket topology etc. (we can assist with this).

Thanks,

Steve

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-nova-nfv
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/ThirdParty