On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 03:48:47PM -0500, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 11/12/2014 02:11 PM, Steve Gordon wrote:
> > NUMA
> > ====
> >
> > We still need to identify some hardware to run third party CI for the
> > NUMA-related work, and no doubt other things that will come up. It's
> > expected that this will be an interim solution until OPNFV resources
> > can be used (note cdub jokingly replied 1-2 years when asked for a
> > "rough" estimate - I mention this because based on a later discussion
> > some people took this as a serious estimate).
> >
> > Ian did you have any luck kicking this off? Russell and I are also
> > endeavouring to see what we can do on our side w.r.t. this short term
> > approach - in particular if you find hardware we still need to find
> > an owner to actually setup and manage it as discussed.
> >
> > In theory to get started we need a physical multi-socket box and a
> > virtual machine somewhere on the same network to handle job control
> > etc. I believe the tests themselves can be run in VMs (just not those
> > exposed by existing public clouds) assuming a recent Libvirt and an
> > appropriately crafted Libvirt XML that ensures the VM gets a
> > multi-socket topology etc. (we can assist with this).
>
> I just wanted to clarify the hardware requirement.  A minimal setup for
> a first step can be just a single physical multi-socket machine.  We can
> run a VM on that machine for control and create ephemeral VMs with numa
> exposed to them for running the tests.

Yep, it is possible to run the tests inside VMs - the key is that when
you create the VMs you need to be able to give them NUMA topology. This
is possible if you're creating your VMs using virt-install, but not if
you're creating your VMs in a cloud.

> Note that in addition to setting up and maintaining the infrastructure,
> we also need someone to write test cases.

See also

  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/131818/

http://docs-draft.openstack.org/18/131818/4/check/gate-nova-docs/e8b8b8e/doc/build/html/devref/testing/libvirt-numa.html

Regards,