This,

It's certainly not a fun thing to do (trying to guide a community of disjoint
folks) and it likely comes with little recognition when successful, but IMHO we
surely need more of this active technical leadership vs. blessing of projects;
of course the boundary between being a engaging leadership and one that is
perceived as trying to dictate technical goals for projects must be approached
carefully (and with thoughtfulness) to avoid creating more problems than
solutions...