On 10/03/15 12:29, Russell Bryant wrote:

I feel that we're at a very vulnerable part of this transition.  We've
abolished the incubation process and integrated release.  We've
established a fairly low bar for new projects [2].  However, we have not
yet approved*any*  tags other than the one that reflects which projects
are included in the final integrated release (Kilo) [3].  Despite the
previously discussed challenges with the integrated release,
it did at least mean that a project has met a very useful set of
criteria [4].

We now have several new project proposals.  However, I propose not
approving any new projects until we have a tagging system that is at
least far enough along to represent the set of criteria that we used to
apply to all OpenStack projects (with exception for ones we want to
consciously drop).  Otherwise, I think it's a significant setback to our
project governance as we have yet to provide any useful way to navigate
the growing set of projects.

I appreciate the concerns here, but I'm also uncomfortable with having an open-ended hold on making projects an official part of OpenStack. There are a lot of projects on StackForge that are by any reasonable definition a part of this community, it seems wrong to put them on indefinite hold when the Big Tent model has already been agreed upon.

Here is a possible compromise: invite applications now and set a fixed date on which the new system will become operational. That way it's the TC's responsibility to get the house in order by the deadline, rather than making it everyone else's problem. If we see a wildly inappropriate application then that's valuable data about where the requirements are unclear. To avoid mass confusion in the absence of a mature set of tags, I think it's probably appropriate that the changes kick in after the Kilo release, but let's make it as soon as possible after that.

cheers,
Zane.