Excerpts from Clint Byrum's message of 2015-11-04 21:17:15 +0000:
> Excerpts from Joshua Harlow's message of 2015-11-04 12:57:53 -0800:
> > Ed Leafe wrote:

> > > I thought that the operators at that session made it very clear that they
> > > would *not* run any Java applications, and that if OpenStack required a
> > > Java app to run, they would no longer use it.
> > >
> > > I like the idea of using Zookeeper as the DLM, but I don't think it
> > > should be set up as a default, even for devstack, given the vehement
> > > opposition expressed.
> > >

> > What should be the default then?
> >
> > As for 'vehement opposition' I didn't see that as being there, I saw a
> > small set of people say 'I don't want to run java or I can't run java',
> > some comments about requiring using oracles JVM (which isn't correct,
> > OpenJDK works for folks that I have asked in the zookeeper community and
> > else where) and the rest of the folks were ok with it...
> >
> > If people want a alternate driver, propose it IMHO...
> >

> The few operators who stated this position are very much appreciated
> for standing up and making it clear. It has helped us not step into a
> minefield with a native ZK driver!
>
> Consul is the most popular second choice, and should work fine for the
> use cases we identified. It will not be sufficient if we ever have
> a use case where many agents must lock many resources, since Consul
> does not offer a way to grant lock access in a fair manner (ZK does,
> and we're not aware of any others that do actually). Using Consul or
> etcd for this case would result in situations where lock waiters may
> wait _forever_, and will likely wait longer than they should at times.
> Hopefully we can simply avoid the need for this in OpenStack all together.
>
> I do _not_ think we should wait for constrained operators to scream
> at us about ZK to write a Consul driver. It's important enough that we
> should start documenting all of the issues we expect to see with Consul
> (it's not widely packaged, for instance) and writing a driver with its
> own devstack plugin.
>
> If there are Consul experts who did not make it to those sessions,
> it would be greatly appreciated if you can spend some time on this.
>
> What I don't want to see happen is we get into a deadlock where there's
> a large portion of users who can't upgrade and no driver to support them.
> So lets stay ahead of the problem, and get a set of drivers that works
> for everybody!

One additional note - out of the three possible options I see for tooz
drivers in production (zk, consul, etcd) we currently only have drivers
for ZK. This means that unless new drivers are created, when we depend
on tooz we will be requiring folks deploy zk.

It would be *awesome* if some folks stepped up to create and support at
least one of the aternate backends.

Although I am a fan of the ZK solution, I have an old WIP patch for
creating an etcd driver. I would like to revive and maintain it, but I
would also need one more maintainer per the new rules for in tree
drivers...

Cheers,
Greg