On 11/04/2015 03:57 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Ed Leafe wrote:
>> On Nov 3, 2015, at 6:45 AM, Davanum Srinivas<dava...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Here's a Devstack review for zookeeper in support of this initiative:
>>>
>>> https://review.openstack.org/241040
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dims
>>
>> I thought that the operators at that session made it very clear that
>> they would *not* run any Java applications, and that if OpenStack
>> required a Java app to run, they would no longer use it.
>>
>> I like the idea of using Zookeeper as the DLM, but I don't think it
>> should be set up as a default, even for devstack, given the vehement
>> opposition expressed.
>>

> What should be the default then?
>
> As for 'vehement opposition' I didn't see that as being there, I saw a
> small set of people say 'I don't want to run java or I can't run java',
> some comments about requiring using oracles JVM (which isn't correct,
> OpenJDK works for folks that I have asked in the zookeeper community and
> else where) and the rest of the folks were ok with it...
>
> If people want a alternate driver, propose it IMHO...

Zookeeper has previously been used by a number of projects, I think it
makes a sensible default to start. We even had it in the gate on the
unit test jobs for a while. We can make a plug point in devstack later
once we see some kinds of jobs running on the zookeeper base for what
the semantics would make sense to plug more stuff in.

Kind of like the MQ path in devstack right now. One default, and a plug
point for people trying other stuff.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague