Hello,

> With 59 separate teams, even emailing the PTLs directly is becoming
> impractical. I can’t imagine trying to email all of the core members directly.
>
> A separate mailing list just for “important announcements” would need someone
> to decide what is “important”. It would also need everyone to be subscribed,
> or we would have to cross-post to the existing list. That’s why we use topic
> tags on the mailing list, so that it is possible to filter messages based on
> what is important to the reader, rather than the sender.

So maybe call it openstack-organization or openstack-teams or something
to focus on organizational topics.
Using tags and filters is also a way but may not be suitable for
everyone.

> I don’t see any releases listed on
> https://releases.openstack.org/independent.html either. Are you tagging
> releases, yet?

Yes, we've done a few releases, see eg. openstack/salt-formula-nova
releases here: https://github.com/openstack/salt-formula-nova/releases

I don't know why it's not listed on releases.openstack.org page.

> I see no emails tagged with [salt] on the mailing list since March of this
> year, aside from this thread. Are you using a different communication channel
> for team coordination? You mention IRC, but how are new contributors expected
> to find you?

Yes, we are using openstack-salt channel and openstack meetings over
IRC. This channel is mentioned eg. in readme here [1] and community
meetings page [2] which are on weekly basis (logs [3]).

We also had a couple of people comming to team IRC talking to us about project
so I believe they can find the way to contact us even without our heavy
activity at openstack-dev (which should be better as I admitted).

[1] https://github.com/openstack/openstack-salt
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/openstack-salt
[3] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack_salt/2016/

> > Of course I don't want to excuse our fault. In case it's not too late,
> > we will try to be more active in mailing lists like openstack-dev and
> > not miss such important events next time.
> >
> > [1] http://stackalytics.com/?module=openstacksalt-group
> >
> > -Filip
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Thierry Carrez <thie...@openstack.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> As announced previously[1][2], there were no PTL candidates within the
> >> election deadline for a number of official OpenStack project teams:
> >> Astara, UX, OpenStackSalt and Security.
> >>
> >> In the Astara case, the current team working on it would like to abandon
> >> the project (and let it be available for any new team who wishes to take
> >> it away). A change should be proposed really soon now to go in that
> >> direction.
> >>
> >> In the UX case, the current PTL (Piet Kruithof) very quickly reacted,
> >> explained his error and asked to be considered for the position for
> >> Ocata. The TC will officialize his nomination at the next meeting,
> >> together with the newly elected PTLs.
> >>
> >> That leaves us with OpenStackSalt and Security, where nobody reacted to
> >> the announcement that we are missing PTL candidates. That points to a
> >> real disconnect between those teams and the rest of the community. Even
> >> if you didn't have the election schedule in mind, it was pretty hard to
> >> miss all the PTL nominations in the email last week.
> >>
> >> The majority of TC members present at the meeting yesterday suggested
> >> that those project teams should be removed from the Big Tent, with their
> >> design summit space allocation slightly reduced to match that (and make
> >> room for other not-yet-official teams).
> >>
> >> In the case of OpenStackSalt, it's a relatively new addition, and if
> >> they get their act together they could probably be re-proposed in the
> >> future. In the case of Security, it points to a more significant
> >> disconnect (since it's not the first time the PTL misses the nomination
> >> call). We definitely still need to care about Security (and we also need
> >> a home for the Vulnerability Management team), but I think the "Security
> >> team" acts more like a workgroup than as an official project team, as
> >> evidenced by the fact that nobody in that team reacted to the lack of
> >> PTL nomination, or the announcement that the team missed the bus.
> >>
> >> The suggested way forward there would be to remove the "Security project
> >> team", have the Vulnerability Management Team file to be its own
> >> official project team (in the same vein as the stable maintenance team),
> >> and have Security be just a workgroup rather than a project team.

> [...]

Filip Pytloun
Cloud Architect

[tcp ◕ cloud]

tcp cloud a.s.
Thamova 16, 180 00  Prague 8

Mobile: +420 776 004 323
E-mail: filip.pytl...@tcpcloud.eu
GPG:    3802 93B1 6CA8 C7A0 695B  8B28 6808 239B 9C72 E61B
Web:    http://www.opentcpcloud.org/