> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 12:25:09PM +0200, Samuli Seppänen wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I'm the newly appointed community manager for OpenVPN Technologies. I
>> will be acting as a liaison between OpenVPN community and OpenVPN
>> Technologies. I will help us (the company) make our development more
>> community-oriented, e.g. by providing the tools and making development
>>
> [snip]
>
> Hi Samuli,
>
> Welcome! I hope the communication with the community will improve with
> your help. In this regard, I'd like to know if it's in your duties to
> deal with bug reports/feature requests, since there's a bunch [1] of
> them reported in the Debian Bug Tracking System.
>
> Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need my help at any time.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alberto
>
> [1]
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?include=tags:upstream;dist=unstable;package=openvpn

Hi Gonzales,

We're definitely committed to making OpenVPN as close to a true
community project as possible. This will require rethinking how OpenVPN
development is done. In theory it's easy: just delegate responsibility
to community members. The problem is how to keep the work organized so
that the new development process actually produces better (and faster)
results. This is something I've already discussed with some community
members. One option mentioned was the Linux kernel model. In our case,
James would be Linus who (mostly) reviews other people's patches and
applies them. I think we'd also need to build teams for various
purposes, e.g. for QA, packaging, different GUI's... this would enable
easy participation in OpenVPN development, whether you're a coder or
not. This is something Ubuntu has done pretty well. Currently we're
lacking basic community services (e.g. forums, trackers, wiki,
[sub]project hosting), but we're working on that. However I think the
basic development model should be agreed upon before building any services.

Anyways, I'm very interested in any ideas on how to organize the project
in a more community-oriented fashion. So please let me know of any ideas
/ insights you might have.

--
Samuli Seppänen
Community Manager