David Sommerseth ha scritto:

> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> Hi Samuli,
> >>
> >> Welcome! I hope the communication with the community will improve with
> >> your help. In this regard, I'd like to know if it's in your duties to
> >> deal with bug reports/feature requests, since there's a bunch [1] of
> >> them reported in the Debian Bug Tracking System.
> >>
> >> Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need my help at any time.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Alberto
> >>
> >> [1]
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?include=tags:upstream;dist=unstable;package=openvpn
> >>

> > Hi Gonzales,
>
> > We're definitely committed to making OpenVPN as close to a true
> > community project as possible. This will require rethinking how OpenVPN
> > development is done. In theory it's easy: just delegate responsibility
> > to community members. The problem is how to keep the work organized so
> > that the new development process actually produces better (and faster)
> > results. This is something I've already discussed with some community
> > members. One option mentioned was the Linux kernel model. In our case,
> > James would be Linus who (mostly) reviews other people's patches and
> > applies them.
>
> I strongly encourages such a model.  This might be not needed
> information what I'm providing here now, but I'll add it for those who
> are don't know or just are interested in one approach of how such a
> community can work.  This is purely my own experiences with working with
> such communities.
>
> I believe James have received several patches in the past from people on
> the mailing list - or directly.  At least I hope he keeps an eye on the
> mailing list and might have an idea who might be potential candidates to
> help out in his "inner circle".  Anyhow, it is important that this
> circle includes people which he can trust 100%.  Each of these persons
> (maybe they will concentrate on different parts of the OpenVPN code, but
> this they need to arrange between themselves) will then pay attention to
> patches which hits their segment/interest field and they can validate
> these patches.  It don't need to be many persons, it can be one or it
> can be fifteen, the amount is not that important, especially not right
> now.  The important part is that there are someone who reviews and keeps
> an open dialogue with the community and also have a good connection with
> James.  They will either include patches into their own source trees, or
> kick them back to be reworked or cancelled completely.
>
> Patches which are accepted will then be sent to James for a final review
> and inclusion.  If James don't like it, it must be discussed on the
> mailing list so that everyone can see and understand why it was rejected
> and how to make it more acceptable for inclusion.  If James can take the
> time to bring this discussion on the mailing list directly himself in
> [...]
The SVN repository URL's are here:

http://www.openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/miscellaneous/subversion-repository.html

I checked the logs and last update in 2.1 branch was from 2009-11-20, so
it's probably 100% up-to-date. I agree with you for the most part.
Beaker sounds interesting, as I guess OpenVPN probably lends itself well
to automated testing. Unlike, say, applications with rich user
interfaces. Anyways real human QA/testing is nevertheless necessary. I'm
sure there are professional testers in the community who could lead the
testing team.

I'll talk to James about these issues a.s.a.p. - unless he takes parts
in the conversation, that is :).

--
Samuli Seppänen
Community Manager