On 02/23/2015 02:10 PM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-02-23 at 13:59 +0100, Arne Schwabe wrote:
>>
>> All fine. My rationale was like, if I want a certificate with a certain
>> SUBJECT (e.g. CN=schw...@mycoolca.com) etc. it should not matter for men
>> wether I get it from OS X, Windows or Android Certificate store.
>
> The canonical way of representing that would be
>  pkcs11:object=schw...@mycoolca.com

But that implies that pkcs11 is somehow in the loop. I might (1) use a
different mechanism, such as a separate daemon that directly uses a
private key file (as is possible on Android), or (2) simply don't care
for what mechanism my daemon uses.

That said, I *do* agree that it would be worthwhile to see if we can use
the same URI format as pkcs11-uris (most recent draft:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pechanec-pkcs11uri-21). If I recall
correctly, there even are pkcs11-uri parsing libs available.

I think omitting 'pkcs11:' or 'osxkeychain:' should be possible, and if
omitted the backend application should just use whatever it prefers.

-Steffan