On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 08:04 -0500, Jonathan K. Bullard wrote:

> > > I like the idea. You could  make the macos-keychain in the string
> > > optional.
> >
> > What Arne said (both parts of it) :-)
>
> I agree -- the argument to --needs-external-cert should be optional.

Note: Arne said about 'macos-keychain' prefix in the argument being
optional, not the argument itself being optional.  Acually, I don't
think making the argument optional is a good idea -- its parsing would
be ambiguous unless it is the last argument in argv.

> Note: the argument to --needs-external-cert should be passed on to
> "RSA_SIGN", too. (I think Vasily omitted that from his writeup.)
>
> So the idea would be:
>
>  * Add an optional UTF-8 string argument to --needs-external-cert.
> (Perhaps the docs should say this requires support from the management
> interface software and that currently such support is only available
> when using certain GUIs on OS X.)

Right.

>  * OpenVPN passes that argument to RSA_SIGN and NEEDS-CERTIFICATE,
> passing an empty string if the argument does not appear.

Why rsa-sign?  I think doing it with NEEDS-CERTIFICATE is enough.
Identity contains both cert and private key, certificate request is
made at first.  Rsa-sign uses already chosen identity.

>  * OS X GUIs such as Tunnelblick and Viscosity see the new RSA_SIGN or
> NEEDS-CERTIFICATE argument and use keychain-mcd to deal with it. Other
> GUIs ignore it or use something that does something equivalent to what
> keychain-mcd does on OS X.

Right.

> I'm not sure exactly how to add an argument to RSA_SIGN and
> NEEDS-CERTIFICATE without breaking existing management interface
> software but assume that is possible. (Also, the argument may need to
> be escaped when it is passed to RSA_SIGN or NEEDS-CERTIFICATE if it
> contains characters that are used as delimiters.)

IMNSHO don't change rsa-sign at all and have no API breakage.

--
Vasily Kulikov