Hi Antonio,

Sorry for taking so long to respond - life was getting in the way.

On 16-04-18 15:03, Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> there was a comment in my previous review that remained unanswer.
> Please, see it below
>
> On 09/03/18 04:23, Steffan Karger wrote:
> [CUT]
>> +   The metadata is checked *after* the OpenVPN three-way handshake has
>> +   completed, to prevent DoS attacks.  (That is, once the client has proved
>> +   the server that it possesses Kc, by authenticating a packet that
>> contains the
>> +   session ID picked by the server.)
>

> just a thought here: the metadata is actually created by the
> server/provider and it is authenticated/encrypted with the server key.
>
> Isn't this enough to ensure that its content is not malicious and thus
> allow the server to parse it right after having received the
> HARD_RESET_V3 (instead of performing a "three-way handshake" first)?

Not really, because a mitm attacker can simply record the cookie, and
replay it.  By postponing our parsing, we reduce the impact of a DoS by
an attacker that is setting up many new connections with the cookie
attached.  Instead of performing a potential expensive check (running a
script) for each HARD_RESET_V3, all we do is unwrap and reply.  In more
formal terms, we require a proof-of-possession of Kc before we will do
any (potential) expensive operations.

-Steffan