On 14/05/2022 00:32, Bo Berglund wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2022 17:26:16 +0200, David Sommerseth
<open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net> wrote:

What kind of firmware is on the device?  Does it have a web UI?  That
could probably be simpler than an SSH login.

I found out that the router in this case is too simple (low end) so it does not
have ssh options. It has the standard ASUS router GUI and supports OpenVPN
client connections so it can be set up like I want for the original purpose.
But it does not lend itself to any "fancy" functions.
And the Merlin open-source f/w is not supported on this hardware.

So I will drop the search now and be content with the basic functions.

I still recommend you to have a look at OpenVPN Cloud and the split-tunnel support based on domain names feature. With OpenVPN Cloud, you only deploy clients. And for routers, like your ASUS router, you download a configuration file generated by OpenVPN Cloud and upload it to the router itself. That's all you need to do on that router.

But you do need to configure your egress ("output") points for your tunnel, though.

If the ASUS OpenVPN integration is too stupid to import an OpenVPN configuration file, then it gets more tricky indeed. But in most cases, it could work.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth
OpenVPN Inc