On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:52:28 +0100, Matthias Buecher / Germany wrote:

> Just read this thread today and want to mention, that if you run into
> build problems you should issue a "make distclean" (not dirclean) to get
> rid of all old stuff and extra packages (create patches of your manual
> changes first, so you can later re-apply them).

That's good to know - I didn't notice that distclean was an option, and
have been just doing a make clean && make world - so will change my
workflow to do distclean instead.

When I run into build issues, I normally wait at least one additional
release before reporting an issue (and take some time to look through the
svn logs to see what might've caused a problem - I usually try to
pinpoint the cause of the problem so I can make a useful report).  In
this case, I'd had some troubles for about a day and nothing in the logs
was making it clear to me why I was seeing a problem (indeed, the only
updates seemed to be for a different platform than what I build for).

Appreciate all the tips and everyone's help.  I'm still fairly new to
building this code - but I also like testing bleeding-edge code.  :-)

Jim
--
 Jim Henderson