Seems people are filing tickets about it now...

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/7674

I had the same thing happen to me with uhttpd, (minus the lua stuff), where the
build system didn't build openssl first. It seems that the build goes straight
to 'install' targets, skipping the 'compile' targets.

Also, when this was happening to me, `make dirclean' hasn't enough to fix it. I
had to checkout from svn, which I think is very strange. The dirclean target
isn't cleaning everything its supposed to, or we need another target that
basically starts us at the beginning without having to go back to svn
checkout...

I think in the long run, having a correct build system is worth every penny.
Why deal with this time-after-time. Additionally, having a correct build will
make parallel builds better and with all these cores today, parallel builds are
essential to not wasting an entire afternoon waiting for code to compile.

Joe