On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Jo-Philipp Wich <x...@subsignal.org> wrote:
>> I think the current situation of enforcing ETSI limits on US machines
>> flies in the face of "WIRELESS FREEDOM."
>
> In the interest of collaboration Atheros specifically wants OpenWrt to
> not publish unregulated binaries. One prerequisite for publishing a
> fully open driver was the ability to enforce effective limits on
> spectrum usage - so essentially the enforcement is what allowed actual
> "Wireless Freedom" in the first place.
>
>> We are much less densely populated in rural America and need to
>> operate at FCC authorized power levels in order to reach many of our
>> subscribers.
>
> Work is being done to properly fix the regulation code but that is
> another matter than allowing user overrides.
>
> ~ Jow

Good morning, Jo-Philipp.

Please see ticket <https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9207>.

We are not asking to override anything if I understand the matter correctly.

We are asking that OpenWrt allow legal power limits for use where it
is necessary.

At the moment, IMHO, it does not, but like Dennis Miller at the end of
a rant, "I could be wrong about that."

respectfully submitted/ldv
--
Larry Vaden, CoFounder