On 2011-04-14 5:59 PM, Larry Vaden wrote:
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Felix Fietkau<n...@openwrt.org>  wrote:
 On 2011-04-14 5:41 PM, Larry Vaden wrote:

 On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Jo-Philipp Wich<x...@subsignal.org>
   wrote:

   I think the current situation of enforcing ETSI limits on US machines
   flies in the face of "WIRELESS FREEDOM."

   In the interest of collaboration Atheros specifically wants OpenWrt to
   not publish unregulated binaries. One prerequisite for publishing a
   fully open driver was the ability to enforce effective limits on
   spectrum usage - so essentially the enforcement is what allowed actual
   "Wireless Freedom" in the first place.

   We are much less densely populated in rural America and need to
   operate at FCC authorized power levels in order to reach many of our
   subscribers.

   Work is being done to properly fix the regulation code but that is
   another matter than allowing user overrides.

   ~ Jow

 Good morning, Jo-Philipp.

 Please see ticket<https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9207>.

 We are not asking to override anything if I understand the matter
 correctly.

 We are asking that OpenWrt allow legal power limits for use where it
 is necessary.

 I've reproduced the bug that you described and poked the guy responsible for
 the buggy code. If he posts a fix, I'll merge it and backport it.
 Meanwhile I'm already working out the design for a rewrite of the cfg80211
 regulatory code, because I think the original code is too messed up to be
 sustainable in the long run.

 - Felix

Felix, your word that you will take care of the matter is more than
satisfactory.  One more question, please, before closing the thread:

For purposes of planning the direly needed migration from AirOS to
OpenWrt, do you have a guestimate of when we'll be happy as a dead pig
in the sunshine?
No idea. But I'll let you know when it's done.

- Felix