On 2011-04-14 5:41 PM, Larry Vaden wrote:
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Jo-Philipp Wich<x...@subsignal.org>  wrote:
 I think the current situation of enforcing ETSI limits on US machines
 flies in the face of "WIRELESS FREEDOM."

 In the interest of collaboration Atheros specifically wants OpenWrt to
 not publish unregulated binaries. One prerequisite for publishing a
 fully open driver was the ability to enforce effective limits on
 spectrum usage - so essentially the enforcement is what allowed actual
 "Wireless Freedom" in the first place.

 We are much less densely populated in rural America and need to
 operate at FCC authorized power levels in order to reach many of our
 subscribers.

 Work is being done to properly fix the regulation code but that is
 another matter than allowing user overrides.

 ~ Jow

Good morning, Jo-Philipp.

Please see ticket<https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9207>.

We are not asking to override anything if I understand the matter correctly.

We are asking that OpenWrt allow legal power limits for use where it
is necessary.
I've reproduced the bug that you described and poked the guy responsible for the buggy code. If he posts a fix, I'll merge it and backport it. Meanwhile I'm already working out the design for a rewrite of the cfg80211 regulatory code, because I think the original code is too messed up to be sustainable in the long run.

- Felix