On 09/08/2020 03:35, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On 08/08/2020 17:56, Rosen Penev wrote:
On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 1:37 PM Mauro Mozzarelli <ma...@ezplanet.org> wrote:
Since OpenWrt is NOT US Based and in fact it appears to be mostly
supported with EU contributions, we should be following the more liberal
EU policies.

Personally I am against software patents and I campaigned for the
decision that the EU parliament took to ban them despite significant
lobby from US corporations that would have wanted to limit and
monopolize software development.

As we know US companies even patent human genome, which is absurd.
I happen to agree but IANAL.

I am proud of the EU decision and I believe that OpenWrt should be
aligned with that spirit.

Do you believe that BUILD_PATENTED should be turned on by default?
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/master/config/Config-build.in#L64

I believe OpenWrt should not even *consider* placing its umbrella organization(s) -- which are based on the U.S. -- in legal risk without at least contacting them first and getting their approval.

Has anyone asked SPI about it yet?

Who/What are these "umbrella" organizations? What is their relationship with OpenWrt?

And what is the "legal risk"?

Again, OpenWrt is NOT a US based project. US legislation should not and must not apply.

We have already seen what US corporations do to open source software. Nothing good can come out of them.