[found an unfinished message in the drafts folder]

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 08:27:58PM +0100, Mirko Parthey wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 10:18:27AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > > The switch chips in consumer access points come with some limitations,
> > > you should check if they can meet your requrements:
> > > - They only support a small number of vlans, a typical limit is 15.
> >
> > Does that mean that the VLAN IDs are also limited to the 0..15 range
> > or can I have 15 VLANs with arbitrary IDs?
>
> 4-bit VLAN IDs (0..15 range) really.

Ouch. I have never seen that.

>  But as David Lang said, this seems to be a thing of the past.

I surely hope so ;-)

>  I can confirm that full 12-bit VLAN IDs work on a router based on the
>  Lantiq VRX268 SoC. It has a limit of 64 VLANs.
>
> > > - Their ports can only be configured to carry either a single untagged
> > >   vlan, or a number of tagged vlans, but not both simultaneously.
> >
> > I usually prefer to have the management VLAN untagged, but I can live
> > without that.
> >
> > How would I check whether a given hardware would support that?
>
> The default network config for your device should come with a single
> VLAN or two, depending on how the WAN interface is connected, and all
> VLANs tagged for the CPU port. This is how it is usually wired up:
> https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network/switch

This documentation is really nice.

> > I would be willing to buy a cheaper accesspoint in the 50-euro-range
> > to try things out. Any recommendations?
>
> The TP-Link TL-WR841ND is cheap, but it has only 4 MB flash, which is
> very limiting if you want to add software packages.

I could remove everything related to routing, would that help (or is
it even possible)?

The device is cheap and available in Europe, that's a real option (and
not too bad if I brick it).

> The only recent device I own is the TP-Link TD-W8980.
> It is within your budget, but I hesitate to recommend it to you:
> - installing OpenWrt/LEDE is more difficult than on other devices
> - the 5 GHz WLAN radio is not supported

5 GHz WLAN radio is absolutely required, so I can't use that device.

> The more expensive "TP-Link Archer C7 v2" (90€) could be an option.
> From what I read, it should be well supported at least in the
> development snapshots of OpenWrt and LEDE.

I'll take a look at those as well, thanks.

Greetings
Marc