Hi Mirko,

thanks for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate that.

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 08:29:02PM +0100, Mirko Parthey wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 05:23:06PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > - 802.1q support on the Ethernet
>
> The switch chips in consumer access points come with some limitations,
> you should check if they can meet your requrements:
> - They only support a small number of vlans, a typical limit is 15.

Does that mean that the VLAN IDs are also limited to the 0..15 range
or can I have 15 VLANs with arbitrary IDs?

> - Their ports can only be configured to carry either a single untagged
>   vlan, or a number of tagged vlans, but not both simultaneously.

I usually prefer to have the management VLAN untagged, but I can live
without that.

How would I check whether a given hardware would support that?

> > - Support für WPA2 Enterprise with an external RADIUS server
> > - Support for RADIUS Attributes allowing the RADIUS server to specify
> >   which VLAN a certain client should be mapped into after connecting to
> >   the same SSID.
>
> These are supported by OpenWrt/LEDE.
> https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/wireless.security.8021x
> https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/wireless#wpa_enterprise_access_point

Ok, so the feature name I want is "dynamic VLAN".

> > - Support for RADIUS Attributes telling the Accesspoint to disconnect
> >   a user after a pre-defined amount of time.
>
> I don't know about this one.

The linked documents would be the place to mention this capability if
it were present, so I guess not.

> > When I tried to build my own OpenWRT for the last time, I failed
> > miserably. Therefore, I would like to be able to use a pre-built
> > OpenWRT image on the device. I believe this might influence the device
> > selection since the image is probably going to be fairly large,
> > influencing the need of flash size.
>
> It is rarely necessary to build from source yourself.
> You can use the Image Builder, which will download your choice of pre-built
> binary packages (*.ipk) and combine them into a flashable image.
> https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/obtain.firmware.generate
> This will give most of the same benefits, such as optimal use of the
> flash memory space through filesystem-level compression.

That sounds good.

> The config interfaces may not be as polished as in commercial offerings,
> but they do the job. For me, the advantages of OpenWrt/LEDE more than
> make up for some rough edges in the UI.
>
> For an evaluation of the config frontends, you could also try out
> OpenWrt/LEDE on x86 hardware, even on a virtual machine.

I would be willing to buy a cheaper accesspoint in the 50-euro-range
to try things out. Any recommendations?

Greetings
Marc