Hello, Valentin,

Thank you very much for the clear expectation.

There is some challenge to put net3 directly between R1 and R2. If R1 and R2
are centralized routers, then ext-net1 is the external network for R1, and net3
could be router-interface-add to R1. Because R1 and R2 are centralized routers,
it's possible to setup vxlan tunnel between R1 and R2 node, for the vxlan
endpoints of R1 and R2 are fixed and limited.

But if R1 or R2 is DVR(distributed virtual router), then R1/R2 will be
presented in many compute nodes, if net3 is attached to both R1 and R2, then
almost all compute nodes will be involved to setup the tunnel for R1/R2, there
are too many management messages for the tunnelig setup, and hard to manage so
many point to point tunneling for R1/R2.

To reduce the tunneling endpoints between DVR routers, we have to use the
centralized node for the DVR, which is used for north-south traffic, so net3
should be only setup in the centralized node of DVR. But in Neutron networking
mode, a router can only be attached to one external network, and only external
network is determined in centralized node. If we want to support a general mode
for east-west traffic between networks in different OpenStack, we have to
address DVR and one external network constraint.

We understand the requirement to have north-south path in each OpenStack, while
at the same to east-west traffic should also be enabled for networks. One spec
has been prepared (and code will be available soon) to fulfill this demand:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/448359/3/specs/pike/l3-networking-multi-NS-with-EW-enabled.rst

    +-----------------------+             +----------------------+
    |       ext-net1        |             |           ext-net2   |
    |      +---+---+        |             |            +--+---+  |
    |RegionOne |            |             | RegionTwo     |      |
    |      +---+---+        |             |          +----+--+   |
    |      |  R1   |        |             |          |  R2   |   |
    |      +--+----+        |             |          +--+----+   |
    |         | net1        |             |        net2 |        |
    |     +---+--+---+-+    |             |   ++-----+--+---+    |
    |            |   |      |             |    |     |           |
    |  +---------+-+ |      |             |    |  +--+--------+  |
    |  | Instance1 | |      |             |    |  | Instance2 |  |
    |  +-----------+ |      |             |    |  +-----------+  |
    |           +----+--+   | bridge-net  |  +-+-----+           |
    |           | R3(1) +--------------------+ R3(2) |           |
    |           +-------+   |             |  +-------+           |
    +-----------------------+             +----------------------+
     Figure.1 Multiple external networks with east-west networking

Instance1 and Instance2 still only have one network interface. But we introduce
a logical router R3(1), R3(2) and bridge-net for east-west traffic between
OpenStack clouds, that means cross OpenStack cloud traffic will totally
separated from traffic inside one OpenStack cloud and north-south traffic.
bridge-net is the external network of R3(1) and R3(2).

The traffic will goes out like this:

Now, north-south traffic of Instance1 and Instance2 work like follows::

    Instance1 -> net1 -> R1 -> ext-net1
    Instance2 -> net2 -> R2 -> ext-net2

Only one hop for north-south traffic.

East-west traffic between Instance1 and Instance2 work like follows::

    Instance1 <-> net1 <-> R3(1) <-> bridge-net <-> R3(2) <-> net2 <-> Instance2

Two hops for cross OpenStack east-west traffic.

Of course Tricircle can help to realize this topology with networking
automation:

The logical topology in central Neutron where Tricircle plugin will work look
like as follows:

         ext-net1             ext-net2
        +-------+              +--+---+
            |                     |
        +---+---+            +----+--+
        |  R1   |            |  R2   |
        +--+----+            +--+----+
           | net1          net2 |
       +---+--+---++  ++-----+--+---+
              |   |    |     |
    +---------+-+ |    |  +--+--------+
    | Instance1 | |    |  | Instance2 |
    +-----------+ |    |  +-----------+
                +-+----+--+
                |   R3    |
                +---------+

    Figure.2 Logical topology in central Neutron

It's easy to create a such topology with the help of Tricircle. For more
detail, you can refer to the spec:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/448359/3/specs/pike/l3-networking-multi-NS-with-EW-enabled.rst

Please note that R1 R2 and R3 are only logical routers, the total traffic
handled by router R1, R2 and R3 for the instances are same as the topology you
provided.

We can prioritize this feature in Tricricle, so that it can be available to be
used in the PoC in OPNFV Beijing Summit. Currently one video conference APP is
planned to be used in the PoC, would you support to deploy clearwater vIMS VMs
in the PoC environments? After the multi-site PoC environment is ready, it's
easy to bring a new VNF to the multi-site clouds. We can discuss this in
multi-site weekly meeting if you are interested in join the PoC.

Best Regards
Chaoyi Huang (joehuang)