I am using something like this in an Aries RSA test where I need a second container.
https://github.com/apache/aries-rsa/blob/master/itests/felix/src/test/java/org/apache/aries/rsa/itests/felix/TwoContainerPaxExam.java

ExamSystem testSystem = PaxExamRuntime.createTestSystem(remoteConfig());
container = PaxExamRuntime.createContainer(testSystem);
container.start();

I am not sure how good pax exam actually would be to define a running system. An alternative you could look into is bndtools with the recent maven integration.
See http://bndtools.org/

It allows to define a running system using a backing index and requirements.

I used this in CXF DOSGi to create a small example:
https://github.com/apache/cxf-dosgi/blob/master/samples/soap/soap.bndrun

The runbundles are automatically computed from the index and requirements. Using the Eclipse IDE extension it is quite easy to define and change such running configs.

The CXF example above also has a maven plugin that does the build completely automated. The result is a runnable jar that you can start with java -jar.

So as was discussed before on this list it would also be quite interesting to go the other way round and use bndtools bndrun files to define a pax exam test run. This is not done yet though.

Christian