Thanks. We have several customized Karaf assemblies. I'm actually looking
to take one of our custom artifact Deployers, which transforms legacy
plugins into Bundles, and executing it as a Maven plugin to generate a
bundle-form of these old plugins at build-time. Even when streaming between
Zips we're seeing a significant impact to startup time by performing these
transforms at runtime.

I've gone bare Felix for now, but the BNDTools solution looks compelling. A
single executable jar is simplicity which cannot be discounted. A Karaf
analog to Wildfly Swarm [http://wildfly-swarm.io/] would be very
interesting

-Nick