From: OPSAWG <opsawg-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Benoit Claise
<benoit.claise=40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Date: Monday, March 18, 2024 at 23:23
To: thomas.g...@swisscom.com <thomas.g...@swisscom.com>, i...@ietf.org
<i...@ietf.org>, opsawg@ietf.org <opsawg@ietf.org>, justin.iur...@uliege.be
<justin.iur...@uliege.be>
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] [ippm] draft-spiegel-ippm-ioam-rawexport
Dear all,
On 3/19/2024 10:40 AM,
thomas.g...@swisscom.com<mailto:thomas.g...@swisscom.com> wrote:
Dear Justin, Dear OPSAWG and IPPM working groups

Thanks a lot for the presentation at IPPM. I believe that this work needs
further refinement by defining also IPFIX entities for IOAM which allow a
decomposition of each IOAM dimension fields, thus enabling IPFIX Flow
Aggregation as described in RFC 7015 which is a requirement to scale out for
IOAM DEX and Trace Option Type. I believe this should be performed after the
working group adoption and me should move forward quickly since IOAM is now
getting implemented by vendors and applied by operators.

While shepherding IPFIX at OPSAWG, I noticed that most discussions where around
choosing the right data type and aligning with the IPFIX registry. Not so much
about exposing the right dimensions from the data plane.

draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-on-path-telemetry is already adopted and well
progressed at OPSAWG. I suggest that draft-spiegel-ippm-ioam-rawexport is being
adopted together with draft-gfz-opsawg-ipfix-alt-mark. With that we are
covering both Hybrid Type options developed at IPPM.

In order to pool the IPFIX entity definitions, I believe OPSAWG would be the
best place to move with draft-spiegel-ippm-ioam-rawexport forward.
Regardless of the WG (*), I believe those two drafts should be adopted soon.

(*) OPSAWG or IPPM, it doesn't matter too much as we have the right expert
inputs anyway. I am a little concerned that OPSAWG meeting was yesterday, so if
we ask for WG adoption, it would be typically at the next physical meeting in 4
months. IMO, waiting that long is not required

Regards, Benoit

I would appreciate feedback from IPPM and OPSAWG wherever they share my opinion
or not.

Best wishes
Thomas