On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:47:33 -0700 (PDT) Martin Fick <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I envision an onion encrypted URL along with the exact path through > tor (the three hops) also onion encrypted. This would be similar > to the way a client normally wraps requests through tor, but the > wrapping would happen up front and then the wrapper would become > the "Obfuscated URL" which could be handed off to someone else > obfuscating both the path through tor and the final destination to > the person receiving the "Obfuscated URL". > > An interesting idea. I see two possible problems with it. Firstly I'm not sure storing the route is useful. Due to the nature of Tor some relays may not be up all the time so having them hard coded in the URL could be a path to failure. Also I am not sure there would be any security advantage (other then possibly specifying the exit node to keep it in a friendly jurisdiction or something .. but this too has it's potential problems (see next point). Secondly this idea seems more suited to malicious uses (obviscated URL to exploit site/etc) then to the more dissident need for anonymity. (I could be wrong. I welcome some examples to get me thinking in the right lines.). One of the reasons I say this is that if the information is not running on a hidden server then it will most likely be found and shutdown. Since anyone that could use these URLs would need to have TOR installed and running I'm having a hard time seeing the advantage to this over a .onion URL. (Again I welcome examples) Just my thoughts Freemor -- [email protected] [email protected] This e-mail has been digitally signed with GnuPG - ( http://gnupg.org/ )
signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

