already in here: http://offsystem.sf.net
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Martin Fick <[email protected]> wrote: > > Obfuscated URL Paths? > > Would it be possible to create a URL or some longer string that > describes a hidden path through the tor network to a specific > hidden URL and to implement a routing mechanism to access > documents (files) using this "Obfuscated URL"? > > I am fully aware of hidden services, and I am suggesting something > that I think is quite different. I am suggesting a way to point > someone to a file on the normal non-hidden internet without > telling them where I am pointing to! > > I envision an onion encrypted URL along with the exact path through > tor (the three hops) also onion encrypted. This would be similar > to the way a client normally wraps requests through tor, but the > wrapping would happen up front and then the wrapper would become > the "Obfuscated URL" which could be handed off to someone else > obfuscating both the path through tor and the final destination to > the person receiving the "Obfuscated URL". > > Obviously, this would not allow a user to chose their own route > through tor to maintain anonymity according to their standards, > so allowing them to route through 3 original nodes before using > the obfuscated URL inside the tor network might be necessary. > This I believe should be similar to the way accessing hidden > services works (3 hops in, 3 hops out). > > The hard part is that it seems like it would also be necessary > to layer a document fetching mechanism ontop of tor instead of > simply wrapping TCP to make this effective though? If not, > obfuscating the URL from the fetcher is likely to be useless since > end point servers are likely to divulge their locations via most > protocols (headers...). Would there be an easier way, to avoid > this disclosure than creating a new fetching protocol? Perhaps, > by adding a built-in simple obfuscating proxying mechanism such > as polipo on the exit side? > > The intent of the Obfuscated URL would not necessarily be to > maintain long term obfuscation of the URL (could it?), but at > least to be the basis of a mechanism that would allow users to > publish hard to censor anonymous content without a hidden service. > Perhaps the user changes the hidden location every now and then > in case the real URL is eventually disclosed, but it the > obfuscation mechanism works for a long enough time, in some case, > this might be a lot easier and safer than using a hidden service > (easier to change the location, ability to use free web space > anonymously...). Of course, I neglected to mention how the > user would publish their obfuscated URLs in the first place, > but that problem exists with onion URLs also? > > Any thoughts? Crazy, useless, impossible... > > Cheers, > > -Martin > > > > >

