--- On Tue, 6/30/09, Freemor <[email protected]> wrote: > Martin Fick <[email protected]> wrote: > > > In my scenario, the point of hard coding the path is > > to obfuscate the final URL, ... > ... But hidden services provide this functionality > already.
They provide an obfuscation to a service that you must run, not an obfuscation of a URL, this is not the same functionality. It's like the difference between an email address and an email server. Related, but very different. > I do understand the potential difficulties in setting up a > hidden service. But I think it would be easier to automate > this aspect of Tor then to write a new protocol. (some > more thoughts on this below) Well, I do not think that you are really giving hidden services proper consideration. While setup is certainly part of the problem, the real kicker, of course, just like running your own web server, is running it! Maintenance and availability are the real issues (hosting). Even many people with the skills to setup their own servers (email, http...) still pay for someone to host them (even though they might personally admin it remotely). So the biggest barrier is hosting, not setup. Hosting requires the publisher to be permanently active, to have a PC always connected to the internet, and to personally be linked to the content. The last part is not just an issue of anonymity, suppose that my identity is already known, how could I ever host content that someone wants to censor without the risk of being raided (and the content thus censored) since my identity is already known? The alternative, remote hosting anonymously is hard, as soon as you add payment to the deal, it adds a whole new level of risk to blowing you or your hosts anonymity, again making censorship more likely. Risks aside, if you look at non-tor stuff, how many individuals are willing to run their own email server, web server? Very few. Why would adding an extra layer (tor) to the mix, even if setup became much easier, suddenly make people more likely to host their own server? Of course, it wouldn't. This means your are starting with a too small pool of potential personal hidden service hosts in the first place. However, how many people have email accounts (virtually everybody)? How many are subscribed to some forum, or internet group, or blogging site with some mechanism to publish to free accounts? Not quite as many as the people with email accounts, but quite a large number nevertheless. These are the people that this targets as a potential publishing base. This number is much higher than those who run personal web servers. This is an entirely different "demographic" than those running hidden services. Hidden services are a genius hack, they provide interactivity, something all the other censor free systems do not. But, interactivity is not always needed. Why force a mechanism designed for dynamic content (and thus more difficult and riskier to implement) onto static content when their is an easier (*1) and potentially more robust solution that tor could implement for static content? *1 If indeed it is easy, of course, the devil is in the details. :( > > As for use cases, I envision that as a simple whistle > > blower or reporter, I would post my content on various > > [snip] > > OK I now have a clearer idea of what you are wanting to > do: > > 1). Simple anonymous publishing > 2). Remove the single point of failure that a hidden > service may represent > 3). Plausable deniability by not having the information > hosting tied to you. Those are some of the things that I am suggesting, yes. But, I am not limiting it to those. If you limit your thinking to that, then, of course, systems that only implement that will look appealing. :) > 1). Someone sets up a hidden service that automatically > re-directs to the content hosted on non-Hidden sites ... I think you are effectively talking about a hidden remapping (not redirecting) proxy. Yes, this would work, but it is not a "good" solution. Again, it suffers from the same hosting requirement and does not reduce risk much. Additionally, this would require each implementer to come up with their own implementation, make bugs and disclosure that more likely (not peer reviewed...) > 2.) GnuNet may be much better suited to what you are > looking to do. It already has a lot of these features > (see http://gnunet.org ) Once you inserted the > information into GnuNet you could share the hash for > it in as many open sites as you wanted. Thanks for the link, I will investigate more. But, again, this looks like a distributed storage mechanism, not a URL obfuscator. It is useful and likely better at doing some of the things that Obfuscated URLs could do, but not all of them. What I am proposing does not push the content into the tor system as most distributed storage systems do. It is an access, not a storage method. And, of course, I am proposing using tor for my purposes, I do not want to add another system to my arsenal. As soon as you do, it becomes very complicated to work with 2, 3... systems simultaneously. As a resource contributor, do I contribute to tor, to freenet, to gnunet, to offsystem...? Each one of these systems that I contribute to takes bandwidth from the other. This is less than ideal. I believe in many of the objectives of many of these systems and dream of a unified way to achieve and contribute to them all. Fragmentation has its advantages, particularly during the research phases. tor is maturer than most technologies, but eventually many of the other systems will implement more and more common functionality. If they can do more than tor, even if they are not quite as good at tor's specialty, eventually they might obsolete tor and everyone will suffer since we will be using sub par implementations. Tor needs to continue getting better at what it is good at, but if it can also expand its capabilities it will likely help expand its user, contributor, and developer bases also. > As for making the content password protected GnuPG > would work wonders for this (prior to insertion of > course) Yes, in fact, I would suggest that documents be store as .pgps at the real location. But to be clear, the intent of the encryption that I was talking about was to make the obfuscation better, not to control access. In other words, it prevents someone from guessing the location of the obfuscated URL and seeing if their guess is correct by attempting to compare the data retrieve via the obfuscated URL and via going directly to their guessed location. Obviously they can still compare file sizes... One additional reason that storing documents as pgps would be nice is because then the documents do not appear to be tor specific documents, they do not shout: "here is an obfuscated URL document!" :) I hope that some of this makes more sense, cheers, -Martin

