Making photocopies at a library of pages from a book, a journal article (even in its entirety), or any other copyrighted document generally falls under the consideration of fair use. Now, this applies only in the U.S. and other countries that recognize and enforce standard copyright laws. The basic defining characteristics of the copying are that the photocopied information is for personal or educational use, will not be duplicated beyond fair use (e.g., giving copies to students as part of a class project or assignment), and will not be sold. If fair use did not exist, then much of the information obtained by instructors and professors, as well as many lab manuals, reading packets, etc., would not be possible without students really whining about costs! Articles used for research purposes are covered by fair use.

Now, there are a few presumptions, or at least common policies, inherent in fair use: 1) the copies are made by the person that will use the document; 2) subsequent copies are made from the first copy and not the original, and are to used within the fair use provision; and 3) the entire document, particularly books, will not be copied in their entirety. It is common for institutional and commercial copying services to deny a job request if they feel that there may be a copyright infringement on original documents, even if it is a clear fair use situation, as they would be liable for that infringement. This is one reason that you will find serious graduate students spending a lot of money and time at photocopy machines doing their own copying; it is also surprising how much speed reading gets done at photocopiers.

Regarding Peter's comment about bootlegging, I do sympathize with this feeling if the user makes frequent use of articles from particular journals; hence one reason by university faculty and researcher offices are loaded with shelf space devoted to journals and books. And, a lot of money is spent on these subscriptions or other purchases. However, I do not see that the copying of an occasional article as a problem. Making a request to another person to obtain an occasional article is also not a transgression of either copyright or common courtesy. What is sometimes seen, however, is that some people that lack the patience or knowledge to use libraries and their services (e.g., interlibrary loan [received articles are typically photocopies!]) are dependent upon others to do the footwork. In your case, Eric, I do not see any problems with your search for knowledge.

Paul