In Rochester, NY, we have two dance series, in separate venues, so policies
are slightly different between the two series. In addition, we
conducted a survey
of our dancers in February
<https://cdrochester.org/covid-survey-results/> about
factors that affect their willingness to attend a dance.

For the weekly English country dance series, we must follow the policy of
the venue since we dance in a space that is used by children in other parts
of the week. The policy requires all dancers to show proof of vaccination
with a booster. We only require this for the first dance they attend; for
convenience, we record that they showed proof. Masking is required when the
CDC Community Level is yellow or red. Masking is optional when the CDC
Community Level is green (which happened just this past week).

For the weekly contra dance series, the venue has no policy on covid
mitigation. In the survey, dancers were evenly divided between those
wanting masking and those who don't. Support for vaccination was strong.
Accordingly, we have this month instituted a test period, length TBD, where
masks are required on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Thursdays of the month and
masks are optional on the 2nd & 4th Thursdays. Proof of vaccination is
still required. We are tracking attendance to see how it changes.

Early this year, we learned that another group started a contra series in
Rochester where masks are forbidden. I hear rumors of other aspects of
their policy but I prefer not to say more without confirmation.

Rich Dempsey
Webmaster, Country Dancers of Rochester, NY
www.cdrochester.org