Hi Peter,

On 8/27/2023 9:24 AM, Peter Martel via Organizers wrote:
Hi Chrissy,

If it wasn’t 4 hours away, I’d come up and take a gander (maybe I will anyway; I’ve not been to Arcadia yet), but let me say this:

1) One of my fellow organizers encouraged me to turn the volume down; I’m not sure why it took someone else to tell me that, as I’ve been doing sound for all kinds of music for nearly 30 years. I think I just get caught up in the dance music. This helps tremendously, especially in a lively room (if it's lively, do you really need it loud? Some of these rooms were designed, before sound systems, to be lively). Turning the music down also makes some room above the band for the caller.

    Really good point!
When I started mixing in 1990 dancers were quiet during walk-throughs.  If the fans weren't blowing, the Caller could just about reach all the dancers without a mic. People who were chatting/socializing would step outside so as not to interfere with the Caller being heard.

2) It is really important to tune the system to the room. If you are using a simple mixer, with a very basic equalizer, if any at all, you are likely to have problems in most any room. 3) An additional option (after the first two are implemented) is “ducking”, where the band's amplitude is slightly compressed when the caller is calling.

Ooo, looks like a dance this Friday…w/ Lisa Greenleaf calling...tempting.

Peter

Thanks and good health,  Weogo